Sunday, July 20, 2008

I am glad that i got to read this story again, i actually got to see a different side of it, a side that I never thought about. To me, Linda(one of the protagonist of the story) was dumb and stupid for taking all of these abuse from Willy( another protagonist of the story). But after reading the book again and the discussion we had in class I understood that Linda was doing the right thing, she was standing by her husband and being loyal to him. Many of us get married and we do a pledge (promise to God) where we say for better or for worst, till death do us part. and we say it and we think we mean it, but then when problems or ilness come our way, we say "adios" right away with no hesitation. Linda did exactly what she had to do. A thought came to me, old people could be rude or mean sometimes, at least this is how is see them, but it not that they are mean, most of the time they have and ilness or they just do not feel good, maybe this is what happened to Willy, maybe he had alsheimers, and maybe he was always nice and caring to Linda but lately his head was not working well. Another opinion i changed after reading this story again, is that i thought that Willy was an antagonist, but i do not feel like this anymore. I think that Willy was just a victim of un accomplished hopes and dreams. I actually feel bad for him, I know how bad it feels to not be able to reach a goal or a dream I have many fails myself. The good thing is that i am still young and hopefuly God allows me more years and i can accomplish those goals, but Willy, he knew that his time was getting closer and this is why he felt so frustrated with the fact that he was not where he wanted to be.
Biff reminds me a lot of ME! i am so scared that i might end up this way too. with no job or successful future. I am a person that switches from job to job, and i have always been really irresponsible. It was till i had my son that i had a serious talk with myself and decided that even if the job was not perfect i will stay there, because now i had responsibility of a little one that needed me to be responsible, maybe Biff should get married and have kids!!. I think that it is really sad that Neither Biff or Happy where there for Willy, even when we know that they loved him, neither of them took the responsibility of helping him out and reitre him. they talked about it but never did it.
I think that it is bad,that Willy cheated on Linda, she was always there for him and was always so supportive of him. I am glad that Linda never found out because this would have killed her.
I think that the fact that Willy cheats on Linda is what has him haunted in life, he has so many flashback and remorses that problably make him feel guilty.
The part of the restaurant is really sad, because they could have had fun but they didn't instead they fought and Happy showed that he did not care much about his dad. I really thought that it was mean the way Biff was talking to his father, i know he was trying to explain what he felt but He was disrespectful. Before i used to think that Will killed himself so that his family received the insurance money, but it is not exactly like this, after reading it again I learned that he killed himself because he started to believe in Biff again and believed that he was going to be succesfull with 20thousand dollars in his pocket, and he killed himself for Biff, all for Biff. i did not get that the first time i read it. Ironically Willy's action made the only person that believed in him, be dessapointed by him, Linda. Another thing that i noticed is that at the end, when Linda is talking to Willy's grave, she says that she had just made the last house payment, and she start saying we are free! free! at last free!, this made me remember the story of an hour phrase! so maybe Linda was (deep inside) felling free from the responsibilty of Willy?

1 comment:

debwrite said...

Nice comments! That phrase "Free, free!" has popped up more than once, hasn't it? Even Elie Wiesel felt those words rising to the surface when his father died. That would be a very interesting topic for a paper some day. Don't worry about becoming like Willy. The fact that you realize the necessity to be responsible shows that you're well on the way! Just live your life as your heart leads! 6/6